There are a number of things that you really do not want to add to your hot compost pile or compost heap. I mean it, just don't go there or you may end up with unwanted visitors or unusable compost. These include;
- Any kind of cooked food
- Any meat or fish, cooked or raw
- Pasta, rice, cake and bread
- Any dairy products including butter, cheese, yogurt and cream from cows, sheep or goats
- Eggs - the shells are fine but not the contents cooked or raw
- Cat and dog faeces and the litter from their litter trays
- Disposable nappies
- Plastics and plastic food packaging
- Glass of any sort
- Foil, cans and tins
- Polystyrene or Styrofoam
- Man made fabrics and clothing such as nylon and PVC
This list is quite comprehensive but is in no way exhausted. If you have something that is not listed and want to know whether it can go into your hot compost, please ask me.
Remember - "If in doubt - leave it out."