mincemeatCranberry Mincemeat is the main ingredient for one of my favourite Christmas treats, mince pies. Traditionally made in the autumn to preserve fruit for the winter this version of the recipe includes cranberries and involves heating through before it is put into the jars. It’s the heating through that results in the good keeping quality. As Autumn is the busiest time of year for me I make mine in January however I want you to get the Christmas treat too so give it a go. Please note that this recipe is prepared over 2 days so plan ahead.

Link to measurement conversion chart

Makes enough for approx. 2.5kg

Ingredients

• 450g Bramley apples
  • 225g shredded suet
  • 350g raisins
  • 225g sultanas
  • 225g cranberries
  • 225g whole candied mixed peel finely chopped
  • 350.g dark brown sugar
  • Zest and juice of 2 oranges
  • Zest and juice of 2 lemon
  • 50.g sliced almonds
  • 4 tsp mixed ground spice
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 nutmeg grated
  • 6 tblsp brandy optional

1 large ovenproof mixing bowl
Enough jars for 2.75kg of mincemeat

Method

1. Put all the ingredients except the brandy into the bowl.
  2. Give the fruit a good stir to evenly distribute the flavours, cover with a clean dry tea towel then leave in a cool dry place for 12 – 24 hours.
  3. Preheat the oven to 120c
  4. Cover the bowl with foil and bake in the oven for 3 hours
  5. Remove from the oven and stir well then allow your mincemeat to cool completely, stirring occasionally
  6. When the mincemeat is cold, stir in the brandy if using, then pack into jars

2017 10 2802mincemeat

Serving suggestions and variations

• I tweaked a traditional mincemeat recipe for a cranberry version. Replace the cranberries with currants if you want to revert
  • Try other dried fruit instead of cranberries, blueberries work well
  • If you don’t use brandy add a little extra orange juice before you use it
  • If you are gluten free then buy your suet from a butchers and grate it, the packet suet contains flour.
  • Check out our mince pie recipe and you will never by a shop bought pie again.

Acknowledgements

The original recipe comes from Delia Smith. I like the idea of making my own mincemeat and was sold on this recipe because it keeps so well. It takes time, but not energy from me, and you can’t burn it if you forget it’s in the oven. All good reasons to have a go, the fact that it tastes great too is the icing on the cake. Thanks Delia.

If you like this then you may also like to have a go at;

1. Asparagus Galette, this is a great dish for using up a bit of spare pastry
  2. If you have the oven on might as well have a go at Pommes Darphion aux oignon - potatoes with onions, as a side for a main meal
  3. If you have your pickle making head on then our simple Picallili recipe is a must.

asparagusgalettepotatoandonionspicalliliplate

Happy eating!

Save

Booking.com