PicalliliPiccalilli is a condiment that my mother has always loved, but that I struggled with until relatively recently. The store bought stuff is just too chunky for my tastes. I’ve always liked the mustard sauce though, so when I was younger, and living with my mum, I would make a cheese and piccalilli sandwiches and leave out the bits. My friend then gave me a jar of her home made sandwich Piccalilli, which means the bits have been copped up, I was an instant convert and have now made a couple of batches of my own.

Link to measurement conversion chart

Makes enough for approx. 3 x 340g jars

Ingredients

• 1kg washed, peeled vegetables – select 5 or 6 from the following: cauliflower or romanesco cauliflower; green beans; cucumbers; courgettes; green or yellow tomatoes; tomatilloes; carrots; small silver-skinned onions or shallots; peppers; nasturtium seed pods
  • 50g salt
  • 30g cornflour
  • 10g ground turmeric
  • 10g English mustard powder
  • 15g yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
  • 600ml cider vinegar
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 50g honey

Method

• Cut the vegetables into small, even bite-sized pieces, don’t go too small or it will go like mush. Place in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Mix well, cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave in a cool place for 24 hours, then rinse the veg with cold water and drain thoroughly.
  • Blend the cornflour, turmeric, mustard powder, mustard seeds, cumin and coriander to a smooth paste with a little of the vinegar.
  • Add the rest of the vinegar and put in a saucepan with the sugar and honey then bring to the boil stirring.
  • Boil for 3–4 minutes to allow the spices to release their flavours into the thickening sauce.
  • Remove the pan from the heat and carefully fold the well-drained vegetables into the hot, spicy sauce. Pack the pickle into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately with vinegar-proof lids. Leave for 4–6 weeks before opening.
  • Use within a year.

Serving suggestions and variations

• You can use a mix of any of the Vegetables listed so as things come into season try a different selection
  • I like plenty of sauce so tweak the ingredients to allow for 800ml of vinegar if you do too
  • Piccalilli is a great condiment with gammon, ham and cheese. Remember to get the jar out whenever you have a salad or sandwich.

picalliliplateAcknowledgements

The original recipe comes from River cottage. I like it because it doesn’t involve cooking the vegetables, for me pickles need to be crunchy. My thanks  go to the River Cottage Team.

You may also enjoy

• A warming soup for lunch or supper, give our Lentil and Frankfurter soup a try
  • Looking for a little taste of the mediteranean try our Med Veg, lovely as a hot side dish or cold as a side salad
  • Treat your self to a traditional English Cream Tea with the best ever warm scones straight from the oven.

lentilandfranksoupmedvegcreamtea

We hope you have enjoyed these recipes.

Happy eating!

Booking.com